The Official Home of the Clan McLea - the Highland Livingstones
Lismore Cathedral was the See of the Roman Catholic Bishops of Argyll and the Isles.
See of Lismore
In 1200 John the Scot, Bishop of Dunkeld, sent his chaplain, Harold, to Pope Innocent the III to persuade the Pope to disjoin Argyll from Dunkeld maintaining that the revenues of Argyle were adequate to support it as a separate Episcopal seat. The Pope agreed and Harold was appointed first Bishop of Argyll with his seat at Muckairn on Loch Etive.
In 1236 the See moved to the safer location of Lismore and henceforth was called See of Lismore. Despite Bishop John’s assurances the See of Lismore was always very poor.
The constitution of the cathedral was :
There were four Deaneries attached to the See.
In 1289 Pope Nicholas IV wrote to Laurence, Bishop of Lismore, saying that Iona Abbey is immediately under Rome and outwith the See of Lismore.Last updated 22 May, 2008