Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: McLea in Apprenticeship Records
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 20 March 2006

Dear Friends and Family,

I hope I'm not 'spamming' the Forum here, but I've been working through a backlog of records I've been compiling, and have also been working to put them up on my McLea genealogy blog (which has a focus on my own family but may from time to time include items of interest to others as well).  If this types of posts are not welcome on the Forum, please let me know as well and I will cease posting them!

I recently typed up some Apprenticeship Tax record abstracts from a record I had gotten my hands on.  You can find it here:

http://kitenet.net/~kyle/blog/index.cgi/1710-1774_UK_Apprentices_blog.html 

I transcribed these records of McLea/McLay/etc from the abstracts of the tax payments in 1710-1774 Apprentices of Great Britain. They contain a few records which may be of use, although this is only an index. There may be more information if you consult the original registers, although I am not aware if that is true, as I do not have access!

Anyway, have a look at these couple of entries from p. 3734 if you're interested! It contains records from throughout Great Britain, and it is said to contain about ~20% Scottish records. But only a couple of the McLea-type records are Scottish.

As an aside, the bottom of the same page deals with something of interest for a completely unrelated reason.  My own family has a DNA connection with a McLin family, which may have an Irish etymology, or may reflect a transition of McLea-->McLean-->McLin.  McLean-->McLin is the tradition in that family, though we don't know how true it is.  Anyway, the bottom of the same page of abstracts lumps together the names MAC(K)LEAN, McLEAN(E), MACKLIN, MACKLANE, McLEIN, and MACKLAIN, seeming to add to the evidence that at least some people believed these names to be etymologically related.

BTW, my genealogy blog address is:
http://kitenet.net/~kyle/blog/index.cgi/ 

I will also be posting an online family history, at some point, here:
http://kitenet.net/~kyle/family/maclea.html 

Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
McLea in Apprenticeship Records20 March 2006Kyle MacLea
   McLea in Apprenticeship Records23 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      McLea in Apprenticeship Records23 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
      McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Kyle MacLea
         McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
               McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  McLea in Apprenticeship Records25 March 2006Rob Livingston
                     McLea in Apprenticeship Records25 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
                     McLea in Apprenticeship Records28 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) CLink
         McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
            McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) CLink
               McLea in Apprenticeship Records25 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
   McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) CLink
      McLea in Apprenticeship Records24 March 2006Kyle MacLea
         McLea in Apprenticeship Records25 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         McLea in Apprenticeship Records28 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            McLea in Apprenticeship Records28 March 2006Kyle MacLea
               McLea in Apprenticeship Records28 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
                  McLea in Apprenticeship Records29 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                     McLea in Apprenticeship Records29 March 2006Kyle MacLea
                           DNA project30 March 2006Kyle MacLea
                           McLea in Apprenticeship Records30 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
               McLea in Apprenticeship Records28 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  McLea in Apprenticeship Records29 March 2006Kyle MacLea
                        McLea of Bute and where before that?30 March 2006Kyle MacLea
                        McLea in Apprenticeship Records30 March 2006Andrew Lancaster
                           McLea in Apprenticeship Records31 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                           McLea in Apprenticeship Records31 March 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                              McLea in Apprenticeship Records31 March 2006Kyle MacLea
                              McLea in Apprenticeship Records01 April 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                              McLea in Apprenticeship Records01 April 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                              The Dunsleibhe Question01 April 2006Andrew Lancaster

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage