Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Duncan McLea, Perthshire --> US
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 20 October 2006

Dear Forum,

I came across this McLea in the U.S., and he doesn't appear to be a relative of mine.  I have a copy of his "Primary Declaration of Intent" to become a U.S. Citizen.  Here's an abbreviated transcript.

USA
To the Honorable the Judge of the District Court of the United States within and for the District of Massachusetts

Respectfully presents Duncan McLea of Braintree in said District Flax Dresser an alien and a free white person that he was born in Perthshire, Scotland on or about the Seventh day of November in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and twenty seven and is now about thirty-eight years of age; that he arrived at Rouse's Point in the District of New York ((on Lake Champlain at the Canadian Border)) in the United States of America on or about the fourteenth day of May in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and sixty two; that it then was and still is his bonafide intention to become a citizen of the USA and to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to every foreign Prince, State, Potentate, and Sovereignty whatsoever -- more especially Victoira, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, whose subject he has heretofore been.  He therefore prays that this his Declaration and intention may become a record of this Honorable Court, agreeably to the laws in such case made and provided.

(signed) Duncan McLea

Massachusetts District to wit United States District Court, Nov 18th, 1865.  Then the said Duncan McLea personally appeared before the Clerk of said Court and made oath to the truth of the facts as set forth in the above declaration to the Court, by him subscribed.

Attest, (blank) Clerk.
--

There is a record of a Duncan Mclee who arrived in the New York aboard the Anchoria on 5 Sep 1877, having been born abt 1827, the ship having left from Glasgow.

Line 1, Microfilm serial M237, roll 410, list 840, New York.

This might be him returning after a visit from Scotland.

Scottish 1841 Census results don't immediately identify Duncan, though there is a Duncan born 1827 living in Lanarkshire.  A Duncan in my own family was born 1824, and there are others.

Conclusive identification of whose Duncan McLea this is may take some time.

But if anyone is looking for a Perthshire Duncan, this one may be yours!  If you want a copy of said document, I can sent it to you, but I don't have any more info than this.

Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage