Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: John Livingstone brother of Dr?
Posted by: Andrew Lancaster
Date: 15 October 2004

Some of you will recall that my Australian branch of the family (DNA sample N on Rob's project) has old claims to be related to Dr Livingstone via his uncle John, said to be the father of my ancestor David who immigrated to Australia in the early 19th century. 

I have not yet located a paper trail, and this is a problem because John was a stationer in Dundee, far away from the Maclea homeland; but I did now receive a copy of a letter containing a story that would make sense. Rob and I had discussed the idea that he may have come to Dundee after a stint in the armed forces during the Napoleonic wars. I now read an old letter which says he had been in the Peninsular war. I am trying to find out what this was based on.

If anyone has records from the appropriate army units this would also be very interesting, and might help confirm or deny this story, but keep in mind that a John Livingstone in that period could still have used many different clan family names in official English accounts (Maclea, Maclay, Leving, Livington etc etc)

With regards to this whole question of who is related to who, I would also certainly encourage more Livingstones and Macleas to do a Y DNA test via the project Rob co-ordinates, as this will surely be necessary in the end. Not enough paper work exists in Scotland.

Best Regards
Andrew

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
John Livingstone brother of Dr?15 October 2004Andrew Lancaster
   John Livingstone brother of Dr?18 October 2004Kyle MacLea
      John Livingstone brother of Dr?18 October 2004Andrew Lancaster
   John Livingstone brother of Dr?29 January 2005Keith Livingstone Australia
   John Livingstone brother of Dr?29 January 2005RMcV
      John Livingstone brother of Dr?04 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
      John Livingstone brother of Dr?04 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
         John Livingstone brother of Dr?05 February 2005RMcV
            John Livingstone brother of Dr?08 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
               John Livingstone (Weaver)08 February 2005Keith Livingstone Australia
                  John Livingstone (Weaver)08 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
                     John Livingstone (Weaver)09 February 2005Keith Livingstone Australia
                        John Livingstone (Weaver)09 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
                     Dundee Livingstones09 February 2005Keith Livingstone Australia
                        Dundee Livingstones09 February 2005Andrew Lancaster
               Exchanging information08 February 2005David Wyse Livingston
                  Exchanging information08 February 2005Young Bachuil
               John Livingstone brother of Dr?17 February 2005Karen Jean Coats
   John Livingstone brother of Dr?18 February 2005Donald Livingstone Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage