Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Origin of Livingstone Tartan
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 15 November 2006

Hi All, 
It is not clear to me the origins of the ancient Livingstone tartan pattern and perhaps many of you are curious about this as well. I realize that is not likely ancient or unique to our clan, but probably adopted in the 19th or early twentieth century, possibly a variation of 18th century old tartan worn by the MacDonnells of Kepoch at the Battle of Culloden. 

I am wondering what the earliest record the Baron of Bachuil and Niall have of highland and lowland Livingstones wearing the red/green ancient Livingstone (1003) Tartan and when is thought this tartan came to be used by our clan. 

The Battle of Culloden veteran Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Movern is known to have worn his kilt into his old age. Whether he wore a tartan favoured by the old Movern/Isle of Lismore Maconleas or a tartan pattern worn by several clans in the district is anyones guess. As he was a great storyteller regarding his experiences at the Battle of Culloden, perhaps it would have possible he wore a tartan he and others serving with the Stuarts of Appin favoured in 1746. All we really know is that Donald Livingstone of Movern and almost certainly other Livingstones of Movern, Isle of Lismore, Mull and the nearby area wore tartan prior to the early 19th century cataloging that began around 1816 or thereabouts and the subsequent tartan fad. 

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink 

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Origin of Livingstone Tartan15 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Origin of Livingstone Tartan16 November 2006Kyle MacLea
   Origin of Livingstone Tartan18 November 2006J. Stewart McLay
      Origin of Livingstone Tartan21 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Origin of Livingstone Tartan21 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Origin of Livingstone Tartan21 November 2006Young Bachuil
            Origin of Livingstone Tartan23 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
               Origin of Livingstone Tartan23 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Origin of Livingstone Tartan21 November 2006Young Bachuil

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage