Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 25 November 2006

Hi All, 

As a followup to the previous info from Stewart and Niall regarding the Livingstone Tartan, I have a little more information regarding the Highland Society of London and tartans. This society appealed to the British Government to have the ban on the Tartan, except for the military, the Diskilting Act repealed which it was in 1782. 

Now it would seem logical that the Society would begin efforts to collect and register clan tartans imediately following the removal of the ban, but there appears to have been no efforts on the part of this society to identify these tartans until much later in 1815. Unfortunately by then, many of the clan weavers and oldtimers with knowledge of a specific or district tartan worn by their clan in the 18th century or before were deceased. Recall for example that our own Donald Livingstone of Morvern famous veteran of the Battle of Culloden and a known wearer of tartan, died the following year in 1816.

What is known is that in 1815 the Highland Society of London finally made a serious effort to identify Clan tartans perhaps motivated by concerns that knowledge of these pre-Culloden tartan patterns would soon be lost forever unless something was done. 

It is at this time that Colonel Alistair MacDonnell of Glengarry on behalf of the Society contacted Clan Chiefs and asked that they send a sample of what they considered to be their tartan. As tartans had been banned from 1746-1782 and thereafter the weaves lost and forgotten, many clan chiefs had to consult with the few eldest members of the clan for information about tartans. Despite uncertainties among some clans as to what constituted their clan tartan a significant number submitted tartan samples which were identified and cataloged by Highland Society of London with each Clan chiefs stamp of approval. 

The question on my mind is where are these records of Colonel McDonnell and the Highland Society of London today and whether we could find an original submission document of Baron John Livingstone (1746-1835) great-grandfather of the current Baron Livingstone to this Society circa 1815. The National Library of Scotland has a collection of documents from this Society, but I do not think these records are there. 

As I do not live in Scotland, I am not much help, but perhaps some of you in the old country have the time and energy to take on the task of locating the original documents and if indeed they survive today. 

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink 

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 25 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 25 November 2006Kyle MacLea
      History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 26 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 26 November 2006Kyle MacLea
            History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 27 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 26 November 2006Kyle MacLea
         History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 26 November 2006J. Stewart McLay
            History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 27 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   History of Livingstone 1003 Tartan 30 November 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage