Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Canadian Livingstones
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 14 December 2006

Hi All, 

Despite my asthma, a possible, fractured shoulder and bruised head, not to mention last moment desperate Christmas shopping, I hope to soon get back on track with the research on the earliest Canadian Livingstone settlers. When all is said and done there are a number of our highland Livingstones that settled from the late 1700's into the early 1800's in what is today the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Manitoba and Ontario. THe  earliest highland Livingstone settler in Ontario, I have found so far is Daniel Livingston a United Empire Loyalist who as a young man served in a highland regiment under the command of British General Wolfe during the Battle for Quebec in 1759. After the french were defeated in North America, Daniel eventually settled in America where he resided until the Revolutionary War and its outcome compelled him to settle in Upper Canada (Ontario) with American loyalists.

Part of this research project entails indentifying if possible any other relatives of Dr. David Livingstone besides his brother John that possibly settled what is now Ontario between 1815 and 1850. 

The one clue we have is a letter written in 1850 by Dr. David Livingstone in which he mentions that his brother John Livingstone was living in Lanark County, Canada West (later known as Ontario) and that his parents and other kin were living there as of 1850. While his brother John Livingstone is living in the town of Listowel in PErth County, by 1861 according to the census of that year with his wife Sarah and family, the not to be confused town of PErth in Lanark County, Ontario in its 1905 Old Boys Reunion listed John's son John Livingstone JR. of Listowel as former original resident of Perth in Lanark County. So it would seem that John and his father John Livingstone Sr. brother of Dr. Dave lived for a time in County of Lanark and later in Perth County. 

There does not seem  to be any noticeable research here on this aspect of John Livingstone's life in this province, so I am interested in getting some feedback from both Perth County and Lanark County, Ontario historians to sort this out. And of course perhaps someone in Lanark County, ONtario can shed light on whether or not there any information on a Uncle or cousin of Dr. Livingstone settling in Lanark County, ONtario prior to 1850. So  yes I guess I do have my work cut out for me. On my side are the research resources available to me here. If anyone ever documented the existence of "other" relatives of Dr. David in Lanark County or for that matter elsewhere in Ontario will certainly do everything we can to locate this document here.

Unfortunately my right arm may be fractured and pains me, so I must stop typing for now. 

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink  

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Canadian Livingstones14 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Canadian Livingstones14 December 2006Kyle MacLea
      Canadian Livingstones14 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Canadian Livingstones14 December 2006Kyle MacLea
            Canadian Livingstones15 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Canadian Livingstones09 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Canadian Livingstones09 November 2008Kyle MacLea