Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: On the trail of Dr. David's brother John
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 17 December 2006

Hi Kyle and everyone else, 

I promised Kyle I would keep him posted on the Ontario Livingstone research. I have gathered together info on a number of highland Livingstone settlers, but as I am going to staying at a friend's farm next week a few miles from Listowel where Dr. Livingstone's brother resided until his death in 1899, I think my focus should on be John Livingstone (1811-1899) of Listowel, Ontario. 

On the Trail of John Livingstone Sr.of Listowel,Ontario (Part 1)

As you may or may not know John Livingstone born May 15, 1811 at Blantyre in Lanarkshire Scotland was an older brother of Dr. David Livingstone. Many of us Livingstone clan members are fascinated by the great Dr. Livingstone and the possibility we might be related to him. This current interest and the esteem which our victorian predecessors felt toward Dr. Livingstone is perhaps best expressed by Florence Nightingale who stated upon learning of his death that "God has taken away the greatest man of his generation."

Despite his later fame, Dr. Livingstone and his sibblings grew up in impoverished circumstances.Their father Neil Livingstone and mother Agnes Hunter lived a rather humble life in Blantyre and the family was supported by Neil's modest income as a tea vendor and a colporteur.

The families roots however were in the highlands in Western Argyll where Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingstone Sr. had left Ulva in the Mull area with his family in 1792 for Blantyre finding work in a cotton mill. The elder Neil had higher aspirations for his sons and encouraged their education and advancement so as to escape life as a common labor in a mill. 

There is some debate as to how many sons Neil Livingstone Sr. had but his grandson John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario, Canada  in an 1891 letter to Rev. Sinclair McLean noted in the RJ Campbell biography of Livingstone, recalled his Uncles as being Charles,Donald, John and Duncan. Other sources unfortunately do not mention a Duncan however. All of John and Dr. DAvid's Uncles apparently served in the army or navy during Britain's war with Napoleon according to family sources. Uncle Charles it is stated was pressed into service and died during the war somewhere in the Mediterian. It is believed that these Uncles of John and Dr. David as well as two AUnts Margaret and Catherine were all living in Glasgow/Blantyre vicinity at this time, but I have not looked into this aspect of the family research in any great depth to comment one way or another.   

Neil Senior's grandsons John and the younger David both  worked in a cotton factory in their youth to make ends meet. David we are told made every effort to better himself from an early age and worked from six in the morning till eight at night, afterwards studying till midnight. David enrolled in Glasgow University in 1836 and it is said that his older brother John helped his younger brother David with some financial assistance which helped supplement what money David could gather from Summer work when not attending classes.  
End of Part 1

Time to a prepare a desert for tomorrow's dinner. Part II of John Livingstone to follow later. 

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink 

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
On the trail of Dr. David's brother John17 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   On the trail of Dr. David's brother John18 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   On the trail of Dr. David's brother John20 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      On the trail of Dr. David's brother John20 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         On the trail of Dr. David's brother John20 December 2006Kyle MacLea
            On the trail of Dr. David's brother John22 December 2006Donald (Livingstone) Clink
               On the trail of Dr. David's brother John06 April 2007Bob Japenga
                  On the trail of Dr. David's brother John09 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  On the trail of Dr. David's brother John09 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      On the trail of Dr. David's brother John10 January 2009christel osterling
         On the trail of Dr. David's brother John13 January 2009Kyle MacLea
         On the trail of Dr. David's brother John14 January 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            On the trail of Dr. David's brother John14 January 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
               On the trail of Dr. David's brother John14 January 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
            On the trail of Dr. David's brother John14 January 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   On the trail of Dr. David's brother John15 January 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage