Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Donald Livingston -
Posted by: Edith Matheson
Date: 03 February 2007

At this site for Jones County, Iowa, is a picture of the gravestone of the Donald Livingston whom Donald Clink has been talking about:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~iajones/cemetery/edin/edin.htm
It appears to be wrong about his age, as we've said before.
The inscription says, "Gathered Home Like a Sheaf Fully Ripe." That sounds so much like it must be a quotation from something that I Googled it trying to find it. All I found were two transcriptions of that same cemetery and two obituaries for other people which also used the same phrase.
I found a Shakespeare site and a Bible site and even asked for "Puritan Quotes" thinking it might have been from a sermon by Jonathan Edwards or someone, but searching turned up nothing. Does anyone recognize it?
The other persons in the cemetery include: the McBeaths (McBeth) were Donald's great-granddaughter and her mother; the Cooks and Fousts were from Donald's second wife's family (Maria Hipple Foust) and Mr. Bailey was the father-in-law of one of Maria's sons by her first marriage. Ann Livingston was, of course, his first wife and John was their son (not Donald Livingston's brother John, as Donald Clink speculated in one message) and I imagine the stone that is so crumbled away that about all that is readable is "ia" was Maria, as it is next to Donald's. The other names were neighbors that I found on the 1850 and 1860 censuses, including the Sutherlands, who were also immigrants from the Red River Settlement.
Speaking of John, the brother of Donald, James and Hugh - I found him on the censuses of 1850 and 1870 (but not 1860) and then no more. I do not know when or where he died.

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Donald Livingston - 03 February 2007Edith Matheson
   Donald Livingston - 04 February 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Donald Livingston - 04 February 2007Gerald Schmidt
         Donald Livingston - 05 February 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Donald Livingston - 06 February 2007Edith Matheson
            Donald Livingston - 07 February 2007J. Stewart McLay
               Donald Livingston - 07 February 2007Kyle MacLea
                  Donald Livingston - 08 February 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                     Donald Livingston - 08 February 2007Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage