Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Iowa Livingston/e ?
Posted by: Gerald Schmidt
Date: 17 March 2007

I can understand why there would be a name change at Ellis Island but I’m confused why my Iowa Livingstone’s would add an “e” to the end of their name sometime between 1890 and 1901.

Several of the records transcribed by the Manitoba Historical society show the name Livingstone with an E on the end just as my grandmother Harriet spelled her name as did my great aunt.  But this is where it gets interesting.  I have a 600+ page book on the History of Delaware County, Iowa.  In that book it mentions the early settlers Hugh, James, John, & Duncan.  It also shows taxes paid and it never lists any of them with an “e”.  I dug out a copy of my Great Grandfathers Pharmacist degree from the State of Iowa from 1880 and his name on the diploma is Livingston, his Medical degree from 1890 also lists it as Livingston.

But everything after 1901 that I have records of indicates family members Livingstone with the “e”.  Dr. Hugh Livingston married Hattie Steward in 1901, my wife now wears her wedding band and inside the ring it says “Hattie Livingstone 1901” something happened between 1890 & their marriage in 1901 with the spelling of the name.

Why would a second generation Scotsman change his name circa 1895?  Were the records at Red River incorrect and he found that out?  If you look at the older tombstones at the Livingston Cemetery in Iowa  http://iowagravestones.org/gs_view.php?id=129819   you can clearly see they do not have the “e” on the end but Lilly Livingstone who was born at the Red River Settlement who passed away after 1900 there is an “e” on the end of her name.

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Iowa Livingston/e ?17 March 2007Gerald Schmidt
   Iowa Livingston/e ?17 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Iowa Livingston/e ?17 March 2007Gerald Schmidt
         Iowa Livingston/e ?18 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Iowa Livingston/e ?19 March 2007Edith Matheson
               Iowa Livingston/e ?19 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                  Iowa Livingston/e ?19 March 2007David Wyse Livingstone
                     Iowa Livingston/e ?20 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                        Iowa Livingston/e ?20 March 2007David Wyse Livingston
                        Death of Dr. Livingstone20 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                           Death of Dr. Livingstone23 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                              Death of Dr. Livingstone26 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                        Iowa Livingston/e ?21 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
               Iowa Livingston/e ?21 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  Iowa Livingston/e ?21 March 2007Edith Matheson
   Iowa Livingston/e ?21 March 2007Jane Livingstone
      Iowa Livingston/e ?24 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Whiskey Drinker?26 March 2007Kyle MacLea
            Whiskey Drinker?26 March 2007Donald Livingstone Clink
               Cemetery Vandals27 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                  Cemetery Vandals27 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage