Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 27 March 2007

Hi All,
Thought I should start a new thread on the topic of our clan tartan research. 

As an update, since determining that there is little chance that the Highland Society of London has an original swatch of what became known as Livingstone Tartan 1003, I have discovered something interesting. It would appear that the Highland Society of London in 1815 did not contact many of the principal clans in the CHief's Movern/Mull area. Or at least that it what is seems to me. Stewart of Appin, Macgilveray, MacLean and Macinnes did not make it in the Society of London Collection and yet a few years later Wilsons acknowledged in their 1819 collection that they had one pattern (447) from Clan MacGilverary and two paterns (58)and (387) from Clan MacLean of Duart. Another local tartan attributed to  MacLean of Duart (57) was identified in the Cockburn Collection.

I found two Macdougall patterns, Macdonnell of Kepoch (507) and two patterns (540) (1640) from MacKinnons from the Highland SOciety of London Collection, but a significant lack of tartans from Mull/Isle of Lismore/Movern area clans. So far anyways. 

I am going to check to see what other clans might have been contacted by the Highland SOciety, but so far anyways it looks like our clan and many of its neighbours including the Stewarts of Appin were ignored in the 1815/1816 project. 

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink 

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update27 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update27 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Lismore Carmichaels28 March 2007Young Bachuil
   Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update28 March 2007David Wyse Livingston
      Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update28 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update28 March 2007Kyle MacLea
            Kinloch Anderson28 March 2007Young Bachuil
            Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update28 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                  18th Century MacLeas in Argyll28 March 2007Kyle MacLea
         Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update28 March 2007Jill Richmond
         Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update29 March 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update29 March 2007David Wyse Livingston
                  1923 edition29 March 2007Young Bachuil
            Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update29 March 2007Kyle MacLea
               Searching for references to Early Livingstone Tartan29 March 2007Kyle MacLea
               The clans of Scotland, with their septs and dependents29 March 2007David Wyse Livingston
                  Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update29 March 2007Kyle MacLea
                     Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update30 March 2007Donald ( Livingstone) Clink
                        Livingstone Tartan Mystery Update30 March 2007Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage