Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 01 April 2007

Just thought I'd start a new Tartan thread, to help organize things.

I visited the Library of Michigan and checked out
their Tartan section.

They had "What Is My Tartan? or The Clans of Scotland, with their Septs and Dependents" by Frank Adam, FSA Scot., 1896 (W&AK Johnston)

It is basically a discussion of the history of Tartan, with a list of Clans and their "septs."  It makes no reference to any non-Clan tartans, and each Sept has exactly one appropriate Tartan, contrary to some later books.

Livingston/e and MacLeay/MacLay/MacLea all are listed as "Stewart of Appin."

No pictures of any tartans are included.

Of note:

In reference to the MacIvor connection, this is noted in Appendix XXXII:

"Some of the Campbell MacIvors settled in Lochaber, and became followers of MacDonald of Keppoch.  They took the name MacGlasrich from the district of Glassary."

(Just of note because of connections with MacIvors and similarity of our Tartan to MacD of Keppoch.  Probably irrelevant.)

I also looked through the rest of their Tartan and found little of note.  I did make some copies of information from "Scottish Clans & Tartans" by Ian Grimble, PhD, FRHistS, 1977 Revised edition.

For Livingstone, it talks about the 1641 grant by Charles I of "lands and rights of the bishopric of Argyll and the Isles, which made Livingstone overlord in Lismore."

"To this island Saint Lughaidh had come from Bangor to found an abbey over a thousand years before.  He was remembered as Moluag, and among his relics was his pastoral staff which became known as the Bachuil Buidhe or Yellow Staff, because it was encased in copper.  Its heriditary guardians might have called themselves Dewar to this day, as those of the relics of Saint Fillan did: and a Tigh nan Deora (House of the Dewars) on Lismore remains as evidence that the title of Dewar was used there.  But the keepers of the staff, the only certain relic of Saint Moluag to have survived, were generally known as Macleays--until James Livingston moved into Achanduin Castle on Lismore sometime after 1641.  It was not until this late date that they added a letter to the name of a new overlord with whom they had no previous connection, and called themselves Livingstone.  At least they seem to have done this of their own volition.  Over a century earlier the Dean of Lismore, Sir James MacGregor, had made his priceless collection of bardic poetry and Ossianic ballads on the eve of the persecutuon which outlawed his very name.  The Dean's Book survives, as though by a miracle, like Saint Moluag's staff; and it is possible that the bell shrine from Kilmichael Glassary is also one of the saint's relics."

"The most famous of the Macleay Dewars whose name had become altered is Dr David Livingstone the African traveller and missionary after whome Livingstone in Malawi is named.  The most distinguished today of those who did not change their name is the former Secretary of State for Scotland, John Maclay, now Viscount Muirshiel.  Among his many services, that which best recalls the tradition of Saint Moluag may be seen at Quarrier's Homes near the Bridge of Weir, where the children of poorer parents hav a Dewar in their midst."

You can read about Muirshiel here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Maclay%2C_1st_Viscount_Muirshiel

Who was also a Knight of the Thistle!  Interesting!

Well, that's all I found.  The Livinstone Tartan listed in Grimble is clearly 1003.  The MacAulay tartan is as seen in other books, similar in Red & green but with the additional white stripe as well.  I found no references to Macleays in this book, it seems others have begun to doubt the connection with MacAulay...

Hope this was helpful, if unsuccessful!

Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan01 April 2007Kyle MacLea
   The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan03 April 2007David Wyse Livingston
      The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan03 April 2007Kyle MacLea
      The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007Gerald Schmidt
            The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007Kyle MacLea
               The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007David Wyse Livingston
                  The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007David Wyse Livingston
                     WR814 Tartan04 April 2007David Wyse Livingston
                        WR814 Tartan04 April 2007Kyle MacLea
                     The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan05 April 2007David Wyse Livingston
                        The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan05 April 2007Kyle MacLea
                           The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan06 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                              The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan06 April 2007Jill Richmond
            The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan04 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan05 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                     The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan05 April 2007Gerald Schmidt
                        The Search for Livingstone WR1003 Tartan05 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Happy Tartan Day!06 April 2007Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage