Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 05 April 2007

I found this website a while ago, but never sent it on.  It appears that it remains in the Google Cache, but the site has disappeared.  It had to do with an Archibald McKirdy and his family, but in the citing an article from the 1868 Buteman newspaper, relates an amusing story of the late Rev Dr McLea in Rothesay.  I will bold that section...

---
When the Marquess of Bute celebrated his 21st birthday in 1868, the occasion was also marked by a group of Bute exiles in Wombat Hill, Daylesford, Australia. The event was reported in The Buteman of February 6 1869 and the account highlights the affection the exiles felt for the island and also their loyalty to the Marquess and his family. I wonder if there were similar events elsewhere?

In the hope that it is of general interest, I'll try to summarize the Buteman report - headlined "Celebration of the coming of age of the Marquess of Bute by the natives of Bute in Australia". Square brackets are The Buteman's, obviously inserted to help identify the people mentioned. If anyone recognises any of these people, I'd be very grateful for any information. Anyway, here goes (first few pars verbatim to try to give flavor of The Buteman report):

"A meeting of the natives of Bute was held on 12th September at the large store of Mr William SPELLACY, situated on Wombat Hill, Daylesford, to celebrate the coming of age of the Marquess of Bute. Mr FLEMING MILLER presided and was supported by a large company of Butemen.

"The chairman, after the usual loyal and patriotic toasts, said, 'We have met here this evening to celebrate the one great event we have looked forward to before and ever since we left our island home - the coming of age of John Crichton Stuart, Marquess of Bute, Earl of Dumfries, Baron Cardiff etc etc' (great cheering).

"'I am sure there is not one present who cannot look back with feelings of fond and dear remembrance of that "beautiful Isle of the Sea" justly named the Montpelier of Scotland. With regard to the Marquess of Bute, if he sustains the reputation which we hear he bears in the old country, he will be a worth successor to his illustrious father, who was a model landlord and philanthropist and a Christian and who abounded in deed of charity. I beg to propose the health of the most noble Marquess of Bute.'

"The toast was drunk with great enthusiasm and with
highland honours."

The report continues "the oldest Brandane in Daylesford" Archibald McKIRDY sen responded in a brief but pithy speech." He praised the young marquess and his late father and mother, adding that he was "very proud to see that the natives had not forgotten the ancient House of Mountstuart, although sixteen thousand miles away and to see also the enthusiasm with which they had responded to the toast 'the Marquess of Bute' (loud applause)."

John JAMIESON of Mountstuart Farm, Franklingford proposed the health of the Provost, Magistrates, and Councillors of the Royal Burgh of Rothesay. "In proposing this toast he specially referred to the Provost, Mr MACBETH, than whom no abler could preside over Rothesay (tremendous cheering)".

Daniel CURRIE of Ardbeg Farm, Bullarook, described as late tenant of Craigberroch and brother of the present tenant of Ardbeg Farm, Bute, replied. He said he was sure he could say with safety that no city or town in Scotland could boast a more intelligent and upright body of rulers that Rothesay (Hear, hear and cheers).

John ANGUS of Smeaton proposed the next toast "The Prosperity of the Nation" and "in a humorous speech gave a few reminiscences of Rothesay in days gone by; how Victoria Street had been reclaimed from the sea, how little thatch houses had given way to large three-storeyed dwellings; how the herring trade had gone down and been replaced by large busy cotton factories. He also referred to the great change that had come over the people and the clergy of Rothesay since the days of the Rev Dr McLEA. He had been told that time was when if people walked the shore of a Sunday they had to'staun the session' or of the Doctor heard of anyone being out after 11 o'clock they were sure to be hauled 'over the coals' and above all things the Doctor was said to be such an enemy of the Irish that he would not allow one of them to come to Rothesay if he could help it (laughter and cheers). All this had now changed and that for the better and he hoped the 'Nation' would continue to prosper."

William SPELLACY proposed "The Old Folks at Home" . Archd McKIRDY jun next proposed "Our old companions".

Then there was singing of the old songs of Scotland and recitations by John PRENTICE James HUNTER Messrs R and A RANKIN and others.

After votes of thanks were given to Mr Spellacy for the excellent manner in which they had been entertained and to Mr Fleming Miller for presiding, the proceedings were brought to a close by three tremendous cheers for the Marquess of Bute and the whole company singing with the utmost enthusiasm "Auld Langsyne".
---

Just for fun and information!  I hope this re-posting is acceptable to the author of the original webpage, whom I could not locate.

Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay05 April 2007Kyle MacLea
   Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay05 April 2007Donald ( Livingstone) Clink
      Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay05 April 2007Kyle MacLea
   Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay10 January 2009Jim Miller
      Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay13 January 2009Kyle MacLea
         Amusing Story of the Rev Dr McLea of Rothesay13 January 2009Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage