Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Baile Dhun Liebhe
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 09 April 2007

One cannot be too curious about the origins of the Town of Livingston in West Lothian, Scotland being referred to in gaelic as Baile Dhun Liebhe. As has been pointed out by others forum participants in the past the gaelic name for the town of Livingston is very interesting given the fact that our ancient clan name was Mac Dhunliebhe and in the end became Livingstone. 

Although my knowledge of gaelic is basically non-existent, I was able to ascertain that gaels might have at one time referred to the town of Livingston at the time of our Maconleas as Baile Dhun or Dun Leving or something in English like Fortified Town of Leving. I realize others have their own theories about this, but I still stuggling with the LEving and Leibhe connection.

Another town with fortifications, Edinburgh has a gaelic name of Baile dhun Eideann I believe. Dhun or Dun I understand to mean a fortification or something like that and Baile of course means town. 

Presumingly the town of Livingston comes from the older Levingtoun with toun or ton derived from old English or Old Scots understood to mean a fortified town. 

Oddly enough I managed to discover some comments regarding the use of the gaelic Baile Dhun Liebhe to refer to the Town of Livingston on the Scottish Parliament Website. 

"Livingston (West Lothian) Baile Leibhinn or Baile Dhunleibhe "Levings's Village"
The gaelic name is common but eroneous as it based on the surname MacDhunleibhe Livingston which is unconnected to the name of the town."

But as my father pointed out to me does it matter now or did it matter in the 1750's to Baron Maconlea that the one is not or may not be a perferct equivalent to the other. From the 1743 manuscript comes tangible evidence that the lowland Earl of Linlithgo about 100 years before the name change believed that his family decended from the MacDhunliebhes and it it is too far a stretch to believe that a tradition had developed whether a perfect direct translation or not that Dhunliebhe or Livingston were not only same ancient family but "more or less" the eqivalent names in their respective langquages. Interestly the above mentioned source speaks of gaelic name for the town as being "common". Before passing judgement in one direction or another I would like to know what history there is in the use of the gaelic Bael Dhunliebhe to describe the town. I am wondering if there are any surviving documents from the 18th century around the time of the Maconlea name change referring to the town of Livingston as Bael Dhunliebhe. That would be most interesting to me.

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Baile Dhun Liebhe09 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Baile Dhun Liebhe11 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Baile Dhun Liebhe12 April 2007Kyle MacLea
         Baile Dhun Liebhe12 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Baile Dhun Liebhe12 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Baile Dhun Liebhe09 April 2007Kyle MacLea
   Baile Dhun Liebhe09 April 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink