Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 1694
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 25 August 2007

Dear Forum,

I recently spent some time learning about old scripts in use in Scotland, something which I hope may someday be useful in reading old records.  There is a great website, which I understand is currently undergoing redesign and updating, and which provides tutorials on this.

http://www.scottishhandwriting.com/ 

They are a product of the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) and content for it is provided by Scottish archives and archivists.  They have tutorials on "secretary hand" and other scripts in use in Scotland.

Interestingly, they had a recent "Weekly Poser" (number 8) which featured a name of interest to us!

That weekly poser was taken from an extract from the Hearth Tax roll for Argyll, 1694, (National Archives of Scotland reference E69/3/1).  

Here is the picture if you would like to see it:
ftp://kitenet.net/pub/home/kyle/1694_ArgyllHearthTax_JohnMcOnlea.png 

The second part of the document reads:
"My Lord Neil Campbell
his Interest In the paroches
of Killchattan Killbrandan

Ardloing
John Mconlea older - - i
John Mconlea younger - - i
Will Campbell - - - i
Gillbert McEwn - - - i
Hector McLean - - - i
John McDugald - - - i
of Killnes - - - i"

Just thought everyone else would be interested to see another "Mc on lea" reference -- in this case to a John Mc on lea older and a John Mc on lea younger, both in the town(?) of Ardloing which is in Argyll.

These are "of an age" with the references in found in Bute records:
http://kitenet.net/~kyle/photos/genealogy/16941125_McOnLea_Rothesay.tiff  
http://kitenet.net/~kyle/photos/genealogy/16951102_McOnLea_Rothesay.tiff

Special thanks to ScottishHandwriting.com for sending me the file, since they only put up each week's poser and take it down at contest's end.  I understand they'll be back up at some point after the redesign(?).

Hope this was of interest!

Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169425 August 2007Kyle MacLea
   John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169425 August 2007Jill Richmond
   John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169427 August 2007Jill Richmond
      John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169427 August 2007Kyle MacLea
   John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169401 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169401 September 2007Kyle MacLea
         John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169407 September 2007Andrew Lancaster
            John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169408 September 2007Kyle MacLea
   John Mc on lea in Argyll Hearth Tax Records, 169407 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage