Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 19 September 2007

Dear Forum,

I have taken a stab at the writing of a "draft letter" to the National Trust for Scotland, Ms. Deirdre Smyth, as referenced in David's original letter.  I'm sure there are things which could use fixing, so I am completely open to suggestions or criticism of my quick effort at a letter.

Note that the original letter is in Word 95 format and I am happy to send it to anyone with an interest.  The section of clans actually contains a Table in the original format and as such looks a lot better than it does here on the forum.

If you'd like a copy, email me at ksm6 -at- cornell -dot- edu and I will happily send it out.

The goal here is to put in a large effort and David is already organizing a "get out the word" effort to some of the other clans involved.  I note that the Carmichaels have a living chief, according to a web search, but I can find no listing of a MacColl chief.  I assume some of the other affected chiefs are likewise not currently recognized by Lyon, perhaps many as a result of losses suffered directly at Culloden.  So, we are probably one of only a small group of clans that could protest.  And I don't expect that the MacLarens will be protesting their new status very much.

Anyway, I plan on sending out this letter myself tomorrow, with any revisions that other concerned Forumeers may send me.  So, take a look and tell me if I need to re-tool it.

Thanks and I hope this is useful.  Even if you don't have time to tinker much with a letter, I urge you to use this as a basis for a letter, and please send it off.  I would recommend you change it a little, but if you're pressed for time, I am suspecting that even a word-for-word copy of this will do the job of showing a mass interest--but if and only if we put together a strong showing!

Let's let them know we're not happy with this!

Kyle=

-------------------------------
Ms. Deirdre Smyth 
Property Manager 
The National Trust for Scotland 
Culloden Battlefield & Visitor Centre 
Inverness  
IV2 5EU

Dear Ms. Smyth:

I am writing today on a matter of grave concern to myself, my fellow clansmen, and others interested in preserving the history of the Appin Regiment that fought on Culloden Moor in 1746.  

It is my understanding that wooden interpretation markers on the field which show where the Jacobite and Government troops stood in line of battle, originally placed by the Forestry Commission, are being replaced with new stone markers as part of a wonderful investment in preserving the battlefield.

While I strongly applaud the Culloden Project for its preservation efforts and I do not oppose the replacement of these wooden markers in principle, I believe that the change to be made to the Appin Regiment marker in particular will obscure history rather than reveal it.  The National Trust for Scotland has an excellent opportunity to contribute to better understanding of the Appin Regiment, but I fear it will miss the chance to do so.

Though this marker originally said “Stewart's of Appin and MacLarens,” it was later changed to simply the “Appin Regiment” to better describe its composition.  Any change from this simple designation to the more specific “Appin Regiment - Stewarts and MacLarens” will only reverse this improvement, a vast step backward in the minds of my clansmen and those of the other clans who formed the Appin Regiment as well.

Allow me to better explain myself by examining the Appin Regiment as a whole, which is treated on page 11 of the book “No Quarter Given: The Muster Roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army, 1745-46,” edited by Livingstone of Bachuil, Aikman, and Hart, 2001.  Of the approximately 300 men who served in the Regiment, the editors compiled a list of about 92 men killed and about 65 seriously wounded.  Of that number, the largest clearly is the Stewarts themselves, numbering about 22 dead and 25 wounded.  The MacLarens also suffered greatly, and lost 13 dead and 4 wounded.  However, there are others who also made very important sacrifices in this Regiment.  To wit:

Clan Dead Wounded
MacColl 18 15
Carmichael 6 2
MacCombich 5 3
Macintyre 5 5
MacInnish or MacInnis 4 2
MacIldeu or Black 1 0
MacKenzie 2 3
MacCorquodale 1 0
M'Uchader 1 0
Henderson 1 1
MacRankin 1 0
MacCormack (Buchanan) 5 1
Cameron 0 1
MacDonald 0 1
MacLachlan 2 0
MacLea or Livingstone 4 1

So, while the MacLarens suffered great losses in the Appin Regiment, to single out their contribution to the unit seems to oversimplify the historical facts and deprive the observer of the chance to know something of the contributions of these other clans.  Indeed, what of the MacColls, who lost more men than any clan save the Stewarts themselves?  Why are they not recognized?  What of Carmichael, MacCombich, Macintyre, and MacInnis?

Because of these concerns, I call upon the National Trust to reconsider its plan to have a stone recognizing the “Appin Regiment - Stewarts and MacLarens.”  Not to short change the contributions of Clan MacLaren, but any stone which gives the impression that the Appin Regiment was composed only of those two clans would be in great error.  If any stone change is considered, I would greatly favor a stone recognizing the names of all clans that formed part of the Appin Regiment.  However, understanding that this may prove logistically difficult on a stone of reasonable size, I can only plead that in that case the marker be returned to its most recent state and simply give the annotation “Appin Regiment.”  With that annotation, a casual observer would have inclination to pursue further information, rather than being brought to the mistaken conclusion that only Stewarts and MacLarens fought at that site.

Furthermore, I am greatly concerned about the decision-making process which has lead to this change.  Who made the decision and who was consulted?  For instance, what were the views of the Stewarts?  Who has represented the Carmichaels, MacColls, the others? 
Since it appears that mistakes and oversimplifications run the risk of being enshrined in the new Culloden battlefield, potentially rewriting history, I am very concerned not only for the marker of the Appin Regiment but also for the markers of the others who fought that dark day in April, 1746!  

I urge the National Trust for Scotland to take these concerns to heart and to consult with all of the affected clans before changes are made to markers commemorating this solemn battlefield, a place that draws the hearts not only of Scots in their homeland, but also in the Scottish diaspora as well.

With all best regards,

Kyle S. MacLea

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland19 September 2007Kyle MacLea
   Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland19 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
      Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland19 September 2007Kyle MacLea
         Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007Kyle MacLea
            Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007Jerry Schmidt
   Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland19 September 2007Young Bachuil
      Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
         Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
      Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007Jerry Schmidt
      Another Congressman to send an e-mail/letter to20 September 2007Jerry Schmidt
         Another Congressman to send an e-mail/letter to20 September 2007Kyle MacLea
            Reply to Kyle - Another Congressman to send an e-mail/letter to 20 September 2007Jerry Schmidt
               Reply to Kyle - Another Congressman to send an e-mail/letter to 20 September 2007Kyle MacLea
   Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland20 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Response from Clan Carmicheal20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
      Response from Clan Carmichael20 September 2007Kyle MacLea
         Response from Clan Carmichael20 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Clan Carmichael response to NTS28 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
         Clan Carmichael response to NTS01 October 2007Kyle MacLea
         Additional Clan Carmichael coorespondence to NTS12 October 2007David Wyse Livingston
            Additional Clan Carmichael coorespondence to NTS12 October 2007Kyle MacLea
   Response from Clan Arthur - New Zealand branch20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
   Response from Clan MacKenzie20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
      Response from Clan MacKenzie20 September 2007Kyle MacLea
         Response from Clan MacKenzie20 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
            Response from Clan MacKenzie20 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Response from Clan MacKenzie10 October 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Response from Clan MacKenzie11 October 2007Kyle MacLea
   Draft Letter to the National Trust for Scotland22 September 2007Jill Richmond

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage