Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: New to Website - wanting more family history etc
Posted by: Roderick Livingstone
Date: 24 September 2007

Dear Livingstone Clan colleague

I and my sons Neil and Euan are interested in finding out more about our clan.  My sister Marcia has turned up information on our family from the 1891, 1881 and 1871 censes.  Our grandfather John Livingstone lived in Kings Road, Portobello in Edinburgh where my father Donald was born.  

My grandfather died before the war so I never met him.  He was a blacksmith who worked at the tram depot in Portobello although we know he had come from the Western Highlands.  He was a Gaelic speaker and the family took holidays on a farm (Little Kilmory) in Rothesay where his elder brother Gilbert lived.  I gather my aunt Isabella and my father Donald did not like this experience since the two brothers spent much of their time speaking Gaelic and drinking whisky and the rest of the family, all non-Gaelic speakers, felt excluded.

My sister has traced the family back to there dwelling at Ederline Stable Yard No2, Glassary, Argyll.  The Ederline Estate is near Ford at the western end of Loch Awe near Kilmartin.  My Great Grandfather, also Donald was married to Agnes and in the 1871 census is described as Head Forester aged 41 and his wife was 36 they had a daughter, Margaret (7), a son Gilbert (5), a son, Colin (3) and a daughter, Catherine (1).  by 1881 there is no mention of Margaret (may have moved into employment elsewhere) but more children had been born - John, Isabella and Mary Ann.  By 1891 Donald was head farm manager, Colin was a rabbit catcher, Catherine a domestic servant and Donald a shepherd, Isabella at 15 was described as a pupil teacher and Mary Ann a scholar.  No word of Gilbert or John who had obviously moved off to find employment elsewhere.  It is reported in the 1891 census that all spoke Gaelic and English.

I think it was in 1977 or 1978 we visited Alistair Livingstone on Lismore - just turned up and asked to see Am Bachuil Mor - we were made very welcome but at that time knew little of our ancestry.

We all now live in Linlithgow - ironically in territory owned at one time by the Earls of Livingston.  I am 62 and my sons Neil (31) and Euan (28) live in the town too.

We would welcome contact from any other family members (long lost!)

We would also be willing and interested in taking part in the DNA survey.

Best regards

Roddy Livingstone

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage