Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: A Response to the National Trust for Scotland
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 26 September 2007

Dear Forum,

I am extremely busy over the next two weeks and won't have time to put anything together myself... BUT, I do believe we need to respond again to the message from NTS regarding the Culloden battle markers SOON.  (David did one of these already which was quite good, but if we've solidified some of our arguments more since, I think we should update it.)  If anyone is inclined, these are points I think we need to emphasize:

1.  Who is Finlayson and why is his account of the Jacobite cause given preeminence over other, contemporary, accounts, as Donald has stated very nicely?

2.  Why were the Stewarts and Maclarens consulted, but none of the other 'interested parties'?  Is this because they don't believe that they were there, since they somehow only believe Finlayson?  Are we to put our heads in the sand about nearly 300 years of subsequent scholarship on the battle?

3.  Why should the matter be 'put to rest' when we only just found out about it, and have NEVER had a voice in making the decision?  Shouldn't you want to evaluate our comments, our documents, before making a decision?  Just because the current sign's been that way for 30 years doesn't make it right.  I believe that the NTS wants the CORRECT information represented and would clearly want to display the CORRECT, or reasonably held to be correct, information on all their signage.

4.  If you're willing to put Livingstones, etc., up on a wall elsewhere in the battlefield, and acknowledge that they served in the Appin Regiment, what is the problem with either including them in the marker, or going back to the "Appin Regiment" moniker alone?

(As a side note, I might be willing to accept some compromise, such as "The Appin Regiment, including the Stewarts and Maclarens" if that is the best we can do.  Or even "The Appin Regiment, including the Stewarts, Maclarens, and many other clans" or somesuch.  I don't want to be completely intractable and risk NO movement on the part of the NTS.  I fear they might just close ranks and settle for this version because it's easiest and logistically possible and doesn't "bother" their earlier "negotiations" with the Stewarts/Maclarens.  Perhaps if we given them an alternative which is also short and displays these names while at least giving the viewer some information about other participation, we might get some movement on this part.)

Just some thoughts!  I will check in now and then over the next couple of weeks, but will be pretty busy.  Still, if someone puts together a letter, I'll be happy to send NTS a copy myself!

All best,
Kyle=

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
A Response to the National Trust for Scotland26 September 2007Kyle MacLea
   A Response to the National Trust for Scotland26 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
   A Response to the National Trust for Scotland26 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      A Response to the National Trust for Scotland27 September 2007Kyle MacLea
         Chief's contact information27 September 2007David Wyse Livingston
            Chief's contact information27 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   A Response to the National Trust for Scotland26 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      A Response to the National Trust for Scotland27 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         The Arrogance of the National Trust for Scotland27 September 2007Young Bachuil
            The Arrogance of the National Trust for Scotland27 September 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   A Response to the National Trust for Scotland10 January 2009david black
      A Response to the National Trust for Scotland13 January 2009Kyle MacLea
         A Response to the National Trust for Scotland18 January 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            A Response to the National Trust for Scotland19 January 2009Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage