Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker
Posted by: Kyle MacLea
Date: 14 October 2007

Dear Forum

I received this message from Dr. Martin MacIntyre, Lieutenant to the Chief of MacIntyre.  He has some strong words for the NTS regarding their decision.  I think you will all enjoy his note!

Kyle MacLea

----
Dear Dr. MacLea,

I don't have the e-mail address for Ms. Macpherson, Chairperson of NTS so I would like you to forward this e-mail to her and the other representatives of clan who fought in the Appin Regiment but will not be given special mention.

I am Lieutenant to Glenoe, Chief of Clan MacIntyre, who is a member of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. If I had been made aware of the situation you have described, I would have attempted to respond exactly as you have and perhaps with less diplomacy.   I would hope that representatives of the Stewart of Appin and MacLarens would do the right thing and take the position that you are espousing.  Have you been in touch with them and have they taken a position?

I am also a Clan MacIntyre historian and am presently preparing the second edition of my late father's book, Clan MacIntyre: A Journey to the Past.  Myself and other clan historians have researched MacIntyre participation in the '45.  Attached are three pertinent paragraphs from the present draft. Perhaps Ms. Macpherson and even Mr. Finlayson were not fully familiar with the complexities of the participation by clans and individuals. 

Among the books I have used as a reference is No Quarter' Given, The Muster Roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army, 1745-46.  I purchased it in 2006 at the NTS Culloden Centre book store.  This list, as  all the others, is incomplete but it shows that the greatest commonality among the members of the Appin Regiment is that most of them came from Appin or adjacent territories e.g. Morvern. Although there were  about 300 in the Appin Regiment at Falkirk and an estimated 250 at Culloden, my hand count of the muster roll has only 210.  Who were the other 90 at Falkirk and the missing 40 at Culloden?  In the Muster Roll, the largest surnames after Stewart, are the MacColls with 27 and the next is MacCombichs with 17, MacLarens with a total of 15 and the MacKenzies with 13.   Although the list  has only 4 MacIntyres, other references have said there were 5 killed and 5 wounded and 10 taken prisoner for a total of 20 MacIntyres in the Appin Regiment.  It is possible that there were more MacIntyes and MacLarens in this regiment.  

In 2006, on my visit to the Culloden battlefield, I looked at the names of the regiments on the stones along the side of the path.  By their appearance, I assumed they had been placed their in 1746 or soon thereafter.  I saw the one with Stewart of Appin and searched in vain for the mention of  the MacIntyres who fought with them.  It was not a good feeling and it is now worse knowing that the stone was placed there only 30 years ago.  I hope that this mistake won't be repeated.  I must admit that I had a fleeting thought to get a stone with MacIntyre chipped in it and place it along the path.  When I learned that there would be a Culloden Walk I jumped at the chance to memorialize our fallen clansmen. Now I learn that there is separate monument planned for the Culloden site and MacIntyres will not be on it.

In the Atholl Brigade, the Colonels were Murrays and Robertsons but it is called the Atholl Brigade, not Murray's or Robertson's Brigade. This brigade had 4 MacLaren Captains compared to only one in the Appin Regiment.  Although there may be an exception, those units that bear the name of a person, e.g., Cameron of Lochiel. are led by that person, who is the chief of their clan.  

While the most common name in the Appin Regiment was Stewart, the Chief of the Stewart of Appin is not among them.  Perhaps  someone named MacLaren hoped to have some added glory for their clan based on the fact that the only Captain in the regiment who was not a Stewart, was a MacLaren and that should allow their name to be carved in stone?  Who are the individuals who represented the Stewarts of Appin and MacLarens in the discussion with the NTS on this matter?  What evidence did they present and what jury of historians passed on their evidence?  Who initially raised the issue. I find it hard to believe that the NTS staff came up with this idea on their own initiative. Is there money in the form of donations involved?  It is a common practice in the United States to get your name on a public project by making a donation.  That is exactly what MacIntyres and other clans were asked to do in order to have a paving stone on the Culloden Walk.  The greater the donation, the larger the stone.   Could it be that this was the same modus operandi for this special monument in question? If so, I wouldn't fault those two honorable clans for making a generous contribution but it shouldn't be at the expense of their fellow soldiers and clans who fought for the independence of Scotland.  I hope this wasn't what happened but in this day and age where money is king, and there is an investigation into whether the "Labor" government sold a Lordship, it is clear the practice in politics of paying for prestige, has become global.

Clan MacIntyre is having its first world gathering next July in Taynuilt, Scotland.  It would be a shame for those who know their MacIntyre history to visit Culloden and see "Stewart of Appin and MacLaren".  I concur that Appin Regiment would be the most correct and acceptable description and that only the names of the military units should be  displayed. 

I hope that no one at the NTS will argue that it is too late to correct this.  Based on the efficiency and speed with which they are preparing the paving stones, that explanation would be unbelievable.

So you see, I'm a historian, not a diplomat or politician, but the truth is the truth and that is what should be remembered and honored, not politics or money.  The best course for NTS is to say a mistake was made without malice and it will be corrected.  That is always better than trying to rationalize. Once the memorial is in stone, the glaring error will stand out like a sore thumb to the detriment of the honor of the NTS and will besmirch the two clan names that are singled out.  That is too high a price to pay to cover up an error in judgment, no matter how innocent. 

Let me know what else I can do to help.

Yours Aye,

Dr. Martin MacIntyre, Lieutenant to Glenoe

In addition, he attached three paragraphs from his and his father's book here:

(Three paragraphs from Chapter II in the second edition of Clan MacIntyre: A Journey to the Past by L.D. MacIntyre and Martin L. MacIntyre.  Copyright remains with them!)

"The 45’ Rising presented a difficult problem for MacIntyres. Those in Glenorchy found themselves under great pressure to support the Campbells and the Crown in their fight against the Jacobites. This would prove to be a war in which brother fought brother, sometimes knowingly, sometimes not. We know that Duncan Ban MacIntyre, our famous Gaelic poet, was present on the side of the English Crown at Falkirk. There were undoubtedly MacIntyres on the Prince’s side. Duncan Ban fought not out of conviction, but for a promise of money and future consideration of employment by Lord Glenorchy. Fortunately for our literary history, Duncan Ban, along with most of his fellow soldiers fighting for the Crown, dropped his sword and ran in the face of the fierce charge of the Highlanders. It was his first and last battle. From his poems, it would appear that his sympathies were with the Highland way of life, but that had changed forever, even if Prince Charles had triumphed. There is no record of MacIntyre casualties fighting for the Crown. 

A number of MacIntyres, living outside of Campbell territory, fought and died for the Jacobite cause, some at the final battle at Culloden. They were attached to other clan regiments, primarily the Stewarts of Appin and MacPherson of Cluny’s.  Among the Stewarts of Appin’s regiment, five MacIntyres were killed and five wounded. There were 14 MacIntyres with MacPherson of Cluny’s and 8 others including Wrights and Tyries in other regiments with at least one death confirmed.77 D. MacDonell MacDonald reported in Scotland's Magazine of November 1973 that nine from Clan MacIntyre were taken prisoner in the ‘45, including two women, Ann and Mary MacIntyre, who were transported to Antigua in the Caribbean in 1747. The complete number of MacIntyres fighting and dying in the ‘45 will never be known. In memory of their sacrifice and courage a commemorative stone can be found on the walk to the new center at the Culloden battlefield site.  Below the MacIntyre crest badge are these words: Brave  Loyal  Independent.

At Glenoe in 1745, the MacIntyre chief, Donald (II) was 75 year old with his 15 year old son and heir, James the Younger in school and too young to bear arms.  They were physically and politically they were caught between the warring parties and had to carefully consider the consequences of divided loyalties and limited options. Their heritage linked them to the Gaelic Highlands and their neighbors, the MacDonalds of Glencoe and Stewarts of Appin were both strong supporters of Prince Charles. But they were surrounded by and related by marriage to the  Campbells, the leading clan supporting the Crown.  Donald’s mother was a Campbell and the Earl of Breadalbane had paid for James’ education. If they had taken either side, there would have been repercussions for his wife and children.  If Donald II had died, what would have happened to the plans for James to study law?"

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker14 October 2007Kyle MacLea
   The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker14 October 2007David Wyse Livingston
      The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker14 October 2007Kyle MacLea
         The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker16 October 2007Young Bachuil
   The MacIntyres take a stand on Culloden Marker16 October 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      MacInnes on the March!17 October 2007Kyle MacLea
         MacInnes on the March!24 October 2007Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage