Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Anrothan or Loarn?
Posted by: Young Bachuil
Date: 06 April 2005

Good Morning, Everybody.

I would like to start off by saying that I think Rob and I have achieved so much because we were both hugely supportive of the overall aim, encouraged each other when trails fizzled out and above all that there was a constructive debate.  We often had different ‘takes’.

I have been mulling over Rob’s comments and went back to check my facts.

What is accepted is that we have close links with the MacGregor Chiefs.  They claimed descent from the Royal House of Loarn.  However, I cannot find firm documented evidence.  Even Moncreiffe suggests that this is through the MacNabs.  However, for the moment I am assuming that the Macgregor DNA is from the Royal House of Loarn.  As ours is so close I am suggesting that this is also our DNA group.

To my mind the eight-century link to the MacGregors is of far more interest than the earlier link to the Campbells for two main reasons.  First I think the non-chiefly DNA is a long way from conclusive but second no one really seems to know from whence they came.   We know that the "rank and file" would often change their surname to reflect the realities of their laird - the most obvious example being the "boll meal Frasers" (when Lord Lovat took over a neighbouring glen to his clan territory for the donation of a boll of meal to each family, the family was persuaded to change their name to Fraser and owe him allegiance ).

I am further saying that we cannot inherit the Loarn DNA through the female line.   So although Anrothan married a princess of the Cenél nGabráin (whose DNA would be very close to the Cenél Loairn) we could not have got the Loarn DNA from her.

The question then remains could Anrothan’s DNA group be similar to the Cenél Loairn?  To my mind the answer is no.

So if the MacGregor history is right then I think that it is most unlikely that we descend from Dunsleve O’Neill.

However, I have been getting numerous emails from a a Billy Nelson (MacNeil) who says that he has “99.9% chance of a common ancestor of myself and LIVINGSTONS OF SCOTLAND.  This translates to 48 generations since the surnames are different and 48x20 average years is 960 years and 2004-960 is 1044.  ANROTHAN O'NEILL, whom MacNeil and Livingston and Sweeney claim as a common ancestor was to have came to Scotland in 1040”  

So nothing is that clear.  I would love to get further results that identify the Loarn and Anrothan groupings.  I think this is the key.

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Which Dunsleve?31 March 2005Young Bachuil
   Which Dunsleve? Further evidence01 April 2005Young Bachuil
      Which Dunsleve? Further evidence01 April 2005Grant South
      Clarification regarding our DNA relationships04 April 2005Rob Livingston
         Clarification regarding our DNA relationships05 April 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
            Clarification regarding our DNA relationships05 April 2005Grant South
               Clarification regarding our DNA relationships06 April 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
            Clarification regarding our DNA relationships06 April 2005Rob Livingston
               Clarification regarding our DNA relationships06 April 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
                  Anrothan or Loarn?06 April 2005Young Bachuil
                     Anrothan or Loarn?06 April 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
                        DNA Sampling and Interpretation08 April 2005Rob Livingston
                     Anrothan or Loarn?10 January 2009Kathryn Aldrich
                        Anrothan or Loarn?13 January 2009Kyle MacLea

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage