Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Angus Livingstone
Posted by: Keith Livingstone Australia
Date: 02 May 2008

I can't see on this page what you found on a family chart, sorry!

Well, this might be a bit of a "fit". My ancestor Angus had 7 children, born in Scotland b/w 1805 and 1819, and then another in 1829. As explained in an earlier posting, these births were all registered in one parish, except that Margaret McPhail's maiden name was spelt Hall for the first 5 children,then Kall, then Hale. The birthdates, and phrases used in death certificates exactly match for descriptions of father and mother: Angus Livingston, Chelsea Pensioner, deceased, and Margaret McPhail, deceased.
From Family Search IGI Batch C115422,Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Argyll. 

To Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall 
John 7 Feb 1805 
Betty 25 Apr 1807 
Cirsty 29 Oct 1809 
Unnamed  
Hugh 6 June 1819 
To Angus Livingston and Margaret Kall 
Ann Livingston 29 Dec 1821
To Angus Livingston and Margaret Hale 
Duncan 30 Sept 1814 
Jane 18 Jan 1829 

The thick highland brogues and poor literacy of the times might have led to the differing spellings of McPhail, or it may be that the Mc was dropped when written. 

The un-named above is probably James, who was listed as a brother on a death certificate of Ann.

I have checked this list of siblings and they all tie in beautifully with the McPhail surname on death certificates, and with the first names I know of.. 

I'd suspect that if my Angus was an uncle of David Livingstone, that the John Livingstone who applied for land grants was not his son, but his brother. However he only had 7 children we can find by 1819, and the man who applied for lands in 1826 was 53 (possible) and had 8 children. Is it possible that he returned to Scotland, where his oldest son John, b.1805, stayed on, because my ancestor John was a woolen weaver when he fathered my ancestor Gavin in 1834, and married in Livingston in about 1828. There is an Angus Livingston buried in Bras D'Or who was a boatbuilder. I've found no death records of same in any of the Scottish OPR's. He died about 1858 I think; if they are all the same person it looks like a birthdate of around 1773, making him only about 11 when the Royal George was sunk in 1784. He may have been press-ganged or been a drummer boy or cabin boy or some such, if it is the same person.

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Another wee bairn22 January 2008Keith Livingstone Australia
   Another wee bairn22 January 2008Kyle MacLea
   Another wee bairn23 January 2008David Wyse Livingston
   Another wee bairn31 January 2008Young Bachuil
   Angus Livingstone28 April 2008Roberta Ann Livingstone
      Angus Livingstone30 April 2008Keith Livingstone Australia
         John Livingstone correction30 April 2008Keith Livingstone Australia
         Angus Livingstone30 April 2008Roberta Ann Livingstone
            Angus Livingstone30 April 2008Roberta Ann Livingstone
               Angus Livingstone01 May 2008Roberta Ann Livingstone
            Angus Livingstone01 May 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Angus Livingstone01 May 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  Angus Livingstone02 May 2008Keith Livingstone Australia
                     Angus Livingstone correction03 May 2008Keith Livingstone Australia
                        Angus Livingstone correction04 May 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
                  Angus Livingstone03 July 2009Glenda McPherson
                     Angus Livingstone04 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Another wee bairn04 July 2009Lesley

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage