Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: No Quarter Given
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 27 September 2008

Dear Baron, 

No serious study of the Appin Regiment would be complete without a copy of Baron Alastair Livingstone's "No Quarter Given". Mine is closely situated in the old pine bookcase next to a first edition of John Prebble's "Culloden" that I treasure, another favourite of mine. I ordered my copy of "No Quarter Given" online a few years ago, but I see various editions still available,some your father would be pleased to know are now fetching a high price. 

Your father's research puts a name, gives honor to these largely unknown clan participants of the Appin Regiment and is surely a valuable asset in our struggle against historical ignorance.   

Actually, most recently, I have been working on a theory that the John Livingstone of Ballachulish Estate mentioned by your father in his Appin Regiment list or another John Livingstone of Ballachulish Estate not listed was the great-grandfather of Dr. David Livingstone. It would seem reasonable that Dr. Livingstone's greatgrandfather recruited by the Stewarts of Appin was a tenant in the Ballachulish-Appin area. This would tie into the Appin-Ballachulish notion that Dr. David Livingstone was decended from a number of John Livingstones or should I say John Maconleas. Interestingly enough the first son of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison of Lettermore/Mull near Tobermory,Ulva and later Blantyre was named John Livingstone and the older brother of Dr. David Livingstone, also the eldest in his family was also named John Livingstone. Although there is no family information of Dr. Livingston's people before Mull and Ulva, I believe that Dr. Livingstone's grandfather's people prior to Mull may have lived at Ballachulish

It would be interesting to know more about the research of Mrs KW Grant of Appin and her Appin/Ballachulish sources. Kevin Livingstone may have some knowledge of the Appin area archives and libraries. Many of the old tales gathered by Mrs Grant and earlier in the 19th century by historian Archibald Campbell from the original gaelic. In some cases I have noticed that infact in the translations the name Livingstone was subsituted for Maconlea.

regards,

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment26 September 2008Bachuil
   The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment26 September 2008Kyle MacLea
   The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment27 September 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment27 September 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         No Quarter Given27 September 2008Bachuil
            No Quarter Given27 September 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment28 September 2008Kevin Livingston
      The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment28 September 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment28 September 2008Jerry Schmidt
   The Culloden Marker for the Appin Regiment28 September 2008Donald ( Livingstone) Clink
   Synopsis14 November 2008Bachuil
      Synopsis14 November 2008Kyle MacLea
      Synopsis18 November 2008Andrew Lancaster
      Synopsis18 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage