Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 01 November 2008

Hi All, 

It has always been fascinating to me how complete and all encompassing was the name change of our highland Argyll based clan from Maconlea or McLea to Livingstone/Livingston in the second half of the 18th century. By the 18 century we know that McLeas were well dispersed North south east and west in Argyll County with various subgroups and branches of the family in Argyll all apparently responding to the Barons call for a name change. 

As I have stated before to me this shows a well organized highland clan without the benefit of modern technology getting the message out throughout the McLea community in Argyll and a unified clan a decade or more after Culloden obviously still taking orders from the Baron of Bachuil who was their Chief. All this at a time when every effort was being made to diminish the power and influence of the highland Chiefs on their clan.

The 1841 Census clearly demonstrates just how successfull the Baron McLea of Bachuil was in the second half of the 18th century getting his clan to change their name to Livingstone/Livingston. Remarkably a check of virtually every parish in Argyll in 1841 indicates there are only 4 McLeas residing in Argyll and they are virtually all living in border parishes with ancestral homeland of the Rothesay Parish, Bute McLeas who were ancient kin but not a part of Baron of Bachuil's highland McLea clan and did not particpate in the name change from McLea to Livingstone. I located two McLeas in Dunoon and Kilmun, one McLea in neighbouring Lochgoilhead and one more in Kilfinan all adjacent to Bute where the Bute McLeas dwelled. Rothesay Parish in Bute has the largest concentration of this branch of the McLeas. 

regards, 

Donald 

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census01 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census01 November 2008Kyle MacLea
      McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census02 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census02 November 2008David Wyse Livingston
            McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census02 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            McLeas in 1841 Argyll Census04 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage