Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Duncan Livingstone of Ohio
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 23 November 2008

Continuing the list of early Livingstone related source materials I would be amiss if I did not mention Duncan Livingstone of Ohio who wrote an excellent article featured in Celtic Monthly of February 1896 intitled: "The Stewarts of Appin at Culloden" which covers details of the Appin Regiment at Culloden but deals in some interesting detail with Donald Livingstone of Morvern who rescued the Appin Banner at the Battle of Culloden or remembered by some Argyll historians from an earlier time simply by an older name Mac-an-Leigh. He draws from the History of the Stewarts of Appin by John H. Stewart and the Logan and McIan book of clans from the 1840's. What makes this interesting is that Duncan Livingstone of Ohio recalls as a youth hearing stories about the rescue of the Appin Banner from Donald Livingstone's nieces Mary Livingstone Boyd who died in the 1860'sand Mrs Livingstone Burke who died in the 1870's both daughters of his brother Ewan Definitely worth checking out this article.

I thought old Donald of Savary, Morvern hero of Culloden might of had a brother Hugh. I noticed that Hugh Livingston with several sons lived near Donald at Savary in the 1770's. I guess Ewan and Hugh would not be the same name by any chance. I always wondered what happened to Donald Livingstone's sons and nephews and if any they went to the States or Canada? Perhaps this Donald Livingstone of Ohio knew something of the emigration of pattern of Donald Livingstone's kin. Who knows perhaps there is more information somewhere. 

Regards, 

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 23 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 23 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 23 November 2008Kyle MacLea
      Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 24 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 24 November 2008Donald (Liviingstone) Clink
      Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 24 November 2008Kyle MacLea
   Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 25 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 27 November 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 10 January 2009 Jewel Brown
   Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 30 November 2008Jewel Brown
      Duncan Livingstone of Ohio 01 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage