Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Maclay in 1841 Scottish Census
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 15 December 2008

Almost forgot Maclay.

MacClay seems to be have a small family group that favoured this spelling judging by the distribution throughout Scotland. What I cant figure out is there exact origin. As it turns half of these MacLays were located in highland Counties of Ross and Cromarty in the North West where Macaulays and MacLeays were predominate and interestingly Sutherlandshire in North East. I forgot to mention in my previous message that small group of the MacLeays are also located in Sutherland County. 

The other half of the Maclays listed in the 1841 Scottish census are in the more populated and Industrialized lowland counties of Lanarkshire,Midlothian and Stirlingshire. I dont really know where the MacLays originated? Are they connected to the Lindsaig MacLeas or another lowland group of MacLeas and went with this spelling or are we to suspect that they might be connected to an original isolated highland group in the North West or North East of Scotland. The significance of a number of this small group who spell their name with unique spelling of McClay in a relatively isolated area of Scotland in 1841, is certainly cause to speculate. 

regards,

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Maclay in 1841 Scottish Census15 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Maclay in 1841 Scottish Census15 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage