Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 16 December 2008

McClays are widely dispersed throughout the lowlands at this time with a significant number in Lanarkshire and the rest here and there in Renfrewshire, Pertshire, Dunbartonshire, Aberdeenshire, Fife and Invernessshire. None in the Highlands with this exact spelling.  

McLays are found especially in Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire Counties and there are 19 in Clackmannanshire County near Perth for those researching Clackmannanshire Mclays. Also note that there were two residents of Clackmannanshire Parish who went by the name of MacAlley. Is there no end to the spelling variations. Apparently not.

There are also a few families in the North West of Scotland who go by the name of McLay or use that spelling some of whom live in Applecross Parish in Wester Ross where some MacLeas also live. Are they from the  same family group I wonder? 

What have i accomplished out of this seemingly futile exercise. Well some things are a little clearer to me, others well I am going to have to give greater thought to before attempting to reach any conclusions. I must mull over the possibility of a connection between the Northern families and some of the lowland families.

regards,  

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census16 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census16 December 2008Craig McClay Wilson
      McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census12 January 2009Campbell McLay
         McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census13 January 2009Kyle MacLea
            McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census15 March 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
         McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census13 March 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census17 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census25 December 2008Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   McClay and McLay in the 1841 Scottish Census13 March 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage