Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: A question for Gaelic speakers
Posted by: Donald Livingstone Clink
Date: 13 June 2005

Hi Andrew,
Can't honestly say that these Leving's in Prussia have any connection to Baron de Leving at this point. Just found it interesting. 

Found a account by Norman MacLeod a minister who at one time lived at Morvern in which he mentions Donald Livingstone or Donald Molach (Hairy Donald)of Savary, Morvern which was his local nickname apparently. At this point I am trying to locate the source of MacLeod's account and to make note of it for future reference.

What is nice about this account is that from someone who actually knew old Donald well. He mentions that Donald was a survivor of the Battle of Culloden who had served with the Stuarts of Appin Regiment and gives some details about Donald rescueing the Stewart of Appin banner. No doubt he heard from Donald himself which probably makes the details likely more accurate than some second hand or third hand accounts of Donald Livingstone. MacLeod mentions visiting Morvern in what I assume was the late 1700's or early 1800's when old Donald Livingstone was operating an Inn at Savary where he lived.

The earliest account of Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern I have is from a book published in the 1830's that mentioned his claim to fame at the Battle of Culloden and interestingly refers to him only in his old gaelic name of Macant-ledh from Morven. Thought you might find that ledh spelling of Maconlea an interesting variation given your interest in gaelic. This author from the 1830's (name slips my mind for the moment) uses sources prior to 1830 which are much closer to the events of 1746 than later authors of the early twentienth century who attempted to write about our Livingstone clan. The casualty list prepared around 1746 of the Stewarts of Appin's regiment does not mention Livingstone at all and refers only Maclea casualties. Later mention of these casualties almost always refers to them a Livingstone casualties as of course they are same clan or else as MacLea/Livingstone casualties.

Morvern is spelt Morven in some of the old maps and records. It was spelt Morven on my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone's marriage record.

I dont know precisely where in Morvern, Miles father lived. The name Miles was used from time to time by both the Livingstones and their neighbours and kin the MacInnes family of Morvern some of which lived at Savary including a MIles McINnes. Also in the 1700's there were Miles Livingstones across from Morvern on the Isle of Lismore. So at least I have a general idea where in Morvern area Miles and his family might have come from.

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
A question for Gaelic speakers12 May 2005Andrew Lancaster
   A question for Gaelic speakers13 May 2005Rob Livingston
      A question for Gaelic speakers13 May 2005Andrew Lancaster
         A question for Gaelic speakers17 May 2005Rob Livingston
            A question for Gaelic speakers18 May 2005Andrew Lancaster
               A question for Gaelic speakers08 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
                  A question for Gaelic speakers09 June 2005Rob Livingston
                     A question for Gaelic speakers10 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
   A question for Gaelic speakers10 June 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
      A question for Gaelic speakers10 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
         A question for Gaelic speakers10 June 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
            A question for Gaelic speakers11 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
   A question for Gaelic speakers12 June 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
      A question for Gaelic speakers12 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
         A question for Gaelic speakers13 June 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
            A question for Gaelic speakers13 June 2005Andrew Lancaster
               A question for Gaelic speakers13 June 2005Donald Livingstone Clink
                  Domhull Mollach 16 June 2005Young Bachuil
                     Domhull Mollach 09 December 2007Kyle MacLea
                     Domhull Mollach 14 March 2007Laura Livingston
                        Domhull Mollach 14 March 2007Young Bachuil

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage