Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Are the McLeas direct descendants of King Malcolm I of Scotland?
Posted by: Rob Livingston
Date: 21 July 2005

I recently received a letter from Donald Malcolm Livingstone of Australia.  According to his grandfather, a native of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, a story long told in his family was that the MacLeas of Argyll are direct descendants of King Malcolm I, a monarch who ruled Scotland from 943-954 AD.  Malcolm I was the grandson of King Kenneth McAlpin, the ruler who united the kingdoms of Dal Riata and Pictland in 843 AD.  Two of Malcolm's sons succeeded him as king (Dubh and Kenneth II), as well as his two grandsons, (Kenneth III and Malcolm II, the last of the House of Alpin kings).

From the DNA evidence that has been collected so far from the Clans of "Sil Alpin" (the seed or offspring of Alpin), this story is very plausible.  "Sil Alpin" has traditionally included Clans McGregor, Grant, McKinnon, McQuarrie, McPhee, and notably, Clan McAulay.  The latter may very well be a historical error for Clan McLea (often referred to as McOllea, McOnlea or MacDhonnsleibhe), because the DNA of our McLea Chief strongly suggests that he shares a recent common ancestor (within the last 1200 years) with at least the McGregor chieftains, the McKinnons (MacFhionnghuin, also known by the surname "Love"), and the McPhees (MacDubhsith).  None of the nine McAulay or thirty Grant men who have been tested so far shows DNA characteristics anywhere close to that of the other "Sil Alpin" clans.  No McQuarries have been tested yet. 

Our Clan Chief also shows a similar genetic relationship to most of the clansmen of Clan Donald, excluding their chiefs who apparently married into the house of Alpin through one of Alpin's daughters.  Clan Donald is largely made up of people absorbed into the clan because of its power and wealth - not necessarily because of any blood relationships.

I have never heard this story until Donald conveyed it to me. And he was unaware of the conclusions I have been drawing from the DNA data regarding our Dal Riatic heritage.  So I take his story very seriously and wonder if anybody has ever heard of this King Malcolm connection before?

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Are the McLeas direct descendants of King Malcolm I of Scotland?21 July 2005Rob Livingston
   - or of King Malcolm I of Moray and Albany?26 July 2005Young Bachuil
      I think you hit the nail on the head!26 July 2005Rob Livingston
         You are too kind27 July 2005Young Bachuil
            Mac Dhuinnshleibhe Ua Eochadha is not an ancestor of the Livingstones of Lismore.28 July 2005Rob Livingston
               Mac Dhuinnshleibhe Ua Eochadha is not an ancestor of the Livingstones of Lismore.02 August 2005Grant South
               Campbells NOT of the House of Loarn03 August 2005Young Bachuil
                  If Campbells NOT of the line of Dal Riata, then unlikely the Livingstones, or McGregors are either.04 August 2005Rob Livingston
                     Campbell Foster Sons04 August 2005Young Bachuil
                        Campbell Foster Sons05 August 2005Andrew Lancaster
                     If Campbells NOT of the line of Dal Riata, then unlikely the Livingstones, or McGregors are either.04 August 2005Andrew Lancaster
                        Campbell vs. Boggs DNA Modal04 August 2005Rob Livingston
                     If Campbells NOT of the line of Dal Riata, then unlikely the Livingstones, or McGregors are either.04 November 2005Douglas Mackinnon
                        If Campbells NOT of the line of Dal Riata, then unlikely the Livingstones, or McGregors are either.04 November 2005Andrew Lancaster
                     If Campbells NOT of the line of Dal Riata, then unlikely the Livingstones, or McGregors are either.13 April 2006EUGENE MACKINNON
   Are the McLeas direct descendants of King Malcolm I of Scotland?02 August 2005Rob Livingston

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage