Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 25 June 2009

Hi Virginia, 

Having confirmed from the Lismore Baptismal record of 1793 that as suspected Duncan and Catharine Livingston were living on Lismore prior settling at Port Appin that narrows the potential candidates for Peter Livingston's father considerably assuming that his father Duncan was born and baptised on the Island of Lismore. Certainly the results of the DNA lend futher credence to this notion. 

Here are the three contenders 
Island of Lismore Baptisms 
1. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1759 
Son of Malcolm Livingston and Kate McArthur of Creganich (as you mentioned)

2. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1769
Son of Myles Livingstone and Mary MacArthur of Baillegarth

3. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1771 son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Cloichlea (Donald also had a son Myles baptised in 1775 which the late Baron Alastair Livingstone once suggested could be my ancestor Miles Livingston also born in 1775. Although my ancestor Miles Livingston stated he was born at nearby Morvern he could have been mistaken regarding his birth place.)

I am working on the assumption that one of these three Duncans is your ancestor. Hopefully when we can confirm the name of that village where Duncan and Catharines child Donald lived at the time of his 1793 baptism on the Isle of Lismore we can make further progress. Note that Duncan and Catharine had only one child baptised in the Lismore records perhaps indicating that they were recently married at the time of Donald's baptism. If so then Duncan might have been younger that 30 at the time of DOnalds 1793 baptism. If Duncan was born in 1759 and married before 30 we might expect find a large number of children baptised by 1793 in the Lismore records but we only find one. My best hunch would be that your Duncan is either the Duncan of Baillegarth baptised in 1769 or the Duncan of Cloichlea baptised in 1771. Not ruling out Duncan of Creganich baptised 1759 just I would think he would have married and have had a number of children baptised and born well before 1793. He would have been possibly about 34 at the time of his sons Donald's baptism in 1793 on the Island of Lismore and about 40 at the time of Peters baptism at Appin. 

regards, 

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol25 June 2009Virginia Adams
   Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol25 June 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol27 June 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol27 June 2009Virginia Adams
   Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol27 June 2009Pat Gill
      Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol28 June 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
         Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol28 June 2009Virginia Adams
            Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol28 June 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol30 June 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
            Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol02 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage