Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 12 July 2009

Hi Jewel, 

There may be spelling variations in some of the old record however I am a bad speller. We Livingstones of Western Argyll are indeed related through marriage with a number of the a local families, MacGilverarys, McColls, McNicols, Carmichaels, McLeans, Campbells etc. Actually McGillverays are one of the oldest families in the Mull or Movern area, but the point I was making had nothing to do with this family but with the potential problem to DNA research if one's clan ancestor was adopted into the clan in the middle ages for example and was not a McLea. I am not saying this has happened but in any clan doing DNA it is always a possibility. 

The most important point I was making was that initial DNA tests seem to be indicating that your ancestor and some other Cape Breton Mull settlers and some Aussies all seem to be closely related to my ancestor Miles Livingston a native of Morvern according to a recent DNA test. At this stage what this may mean is that you, Roberta and a number of other Cape Breton Mull Livingstones shared a common ancestor possibly a few hundred years to several hundred years in Western Argyll. 

This should not be too surprising that a Morvern Livingstone family should be possibly descended from the same ancient Maclea ancestor as some Northern Mull Livingstones. As I am trying to locate decendants of the famous Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary Mull who rescued the Stewart of APpin banner at the Battle of CUlloden or his brohter Hugh (Ewen) it will be helpful to have at least one Morvern area family tested and have a sense of how this one Morvern Livingstone family (mine) connects with some of the neighbouring Mull Livingstones. To my way of thinking whenever we come close to match in the project it is a good thing. And of course I would happy to find out I was a long lost cousin of you and Roberta.  

The fact that Miles Livingston's line may be connected to yours also adds to the notion that you and Roberta's ancestors lived in the Mull Movern area of Western Argyll for a few centuries or more. I point out however in a previous e-mail that is highly likely that lived some where else before Mull and movern. In our clans Western Argyll area but not Mull or Morvern. But so as not to complicate things lets work with the notion that the Mull an Movern Macleas later known as Livingstons in the 1700's lived there for a few hundred years possibly more and could be related. 

When the 37 and 67 marker results come through for my Livingston cousin I will let you know what we find out. 

regards, 

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related11 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related11 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
         Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Jewel Brown
            Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related13 July 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
               Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related13 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage