Clan CrestThe Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum

Code of
Conduct
Title: Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related
Posted by: Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Date: 13 July 2009

Hi Roberta, 

McInnis is an old Movern family also. A large number of McInnis Clan settled in Nova Scotia I noticed. I greatly miss old Donald McInnis past President of the McInnis society who was an expert on all things to do with Donald Livingstone of Savary Morvern. He and his clan was proud of is historic contribution at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 and by the fact that Donald's mother was a McInnis. I also thought his wife was also a McInnis but I am not certain of that. The current leadership of Clan McInnis has been working with us to resolve the Culloden Battlefield marker issue and have been quite helpful in this regard. 

Ultimately if we get some more Movern Livingston descendants to particpate in the DNA project I may be able to determine whether or not my ancestor was kin to famous Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Movern or his brother Hugh (Ewen). Some of Hugh's family apparently settled in Ohio and New York State in the 1800's. Daryll Povey of Australia is descended from Adam Livingston the miller of Savary and as a Savary Livingston is belived to be kin the famous Donald Livingston. 

INterestingly Miles was a name quite popular with the Savary Movern McInnes family and this with the fact that my Miles Livingston ancestor stated he was born at Morvern in his 1812 marriage record makes we wonder if Miles himself is not decended from this famous Livingstone family and the McInnes from Savary. Presumingly Miles is from Savary or one of the other villages along the Morvern coast. These villages were all put to the torch by the British Navy during the 1745 rebellion as the British believed the local people to be Jacobite rebels. 

As I mentioned earlier we face the challenge in our study of our ancestors by the fact that from time to time they migrated to other settlement area in Western Argyll so it difficult to say where they lived 500 years. I do have some idea where they lived 200 years ago however and these test results will help to confirm that. The Mull group will however find matches with Livingstones potentially who settled in different parts of Scotland be it Fort William, or Glasgow in the lowlands. Lowland Scotland in the census records of the 1800's is full of highland Scots from highland parishes or whose parents were born in highland parishes. The 1850 census of Scotland verified that when I checked out the birth places listed of the Livingstons throughout the industrialized lowland areas of scotland. 

I would have thought that the Fort William Livingston would have originated from settlements along the eastern edges of our ancestral locations rather than Mull. But some of the Achnacree Benderloch livingstones or Macleas could have ended up in Fort William and perhaps they match the Mulll Movern livingstones perhaps being ancestrally connected long ago. At the 25 marker level that I just looked at it could be a great number of generations ago where the match is coming from. 

So I think as Andrew said to me we should follow this interesting possible connection and get more Mull and Movern/ Cape Breton/PEI Livingstones tested to see if we can build something out of the Livingstons that are a close match. I will be watching to see if your brother is still a close match to my cousin at the 37 and 67 level this month. That would be interesting. I am convinced by what you have told me about your ancestor he is from Mull. Almost certain. His connection to Staffa enough for him to name his land grant after a local tourist attraction in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish and the fact that his boat took off from Tobermory in Mull makes believe him to a Mull native. I admit I could be wrong but the strongest evidence so far suggests this to be probably true. A comprehensive study of orgins of Livingtons and related families who left from Tobermory to settle in PEI and Cape Breton I think would show that Mull was a major origin point. 

I have more info on Barry Judson's ancestor John Livingston Sr. and will add that to what we have learned so far to create a hypothetical family tree of the first Livingston family that settled at Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton in the 1820's from Mull. Apparently according to the local history a number of Mull families settled in this area in the 1820's.

regards, 

Donald

** This Thread has ended - Please do NOT attempt to resurrect it! **

Replies

Title:Date:Posted By:
Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related11 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related11 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
         Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
      Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink
   Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related12 July 2009Jewel Brown
            Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related13 July 2009Roberta Ann Livingstone
               Mull and Neighbouring Morvern Maclea/Livingstones related13 July 2009Donald (Livingstone) Clink

Return to Main Listings     Return to ANZ Listings     Return to Homepage